Hospice and Palliative Medicine
The American Board of Family Medicine, in a joint venture with the American Board of Internal Medicine and eight other ABMS specialty boards, offers a Certificate of Added Qualifications (CAQ) in Hospice & Palliative Medicine. This CAQ is designed to recognize excellence among certified family physicians who emphasize the care of seriously ill and dying patients with life-limiting illnesses in their practice. The field of hospice and palliative medicine is based on expanding scientific knowledge about symptom control when cure is not possible and appropriate care during the last months of life.
- Family physicians must be certified by the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) and must be Diplomates in good standing in order to apply and take the examination; and must maintain their primary certification by the ABFM to maintain certification in a CAQ.
- The Diplomate must hold a currently valid, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada. Furthermore, all medical licenses held by the Diplomate must be valid, full and unrestricted.
- Diplomates must satisfactorily complete 12 months of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship training. Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship training taken prior to July 1, 2010, must be conducted within a program affiliated with an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited residency or fellowship program. Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship training undertaken July 1, 2010, and after must be accredited by the ACGME.
- Submission of an online application with appropriate application fee.
- Diplomates must achieve a satisfactory score on the one-day computer-based Hospice and Palliative Medicine Examination.
Currently (as of March 2013) the recertification requirements for Hospice and Palliative Medicine are yet to be determined.
2014 Candidate Information Booklet:
Hospice and Palliative Medicine [359 KB]
2014 Fellowship Training form:
Fellowship Training Form [149 KB]
View important dates and deadlines for Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Get the answers to frequently asked questions.
Sign Up for a CAQ Exam
Find out how to apply for an exam.