The American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) is the second largest medical specialty board in the United States. Founded in 1969, it is a voluntary, not-for-profit, private organization whose purposes include:
- Improving the quality of medical care available to the public
- Establishing and maintaining standards of excellence in the specialty of Family Medicine
- Improving the standards of medical education for training in Family Medicine
- Determining by evaluation the fitness of specialists in Family Medicine who apply for and hold certificates
The mission of the ABFM is to improve the health of the public through:
• • •
- Certification: The ABFM certifies family physicians who are highly skilled and effective at improving the health of their patients, their families, and their communities, and assists Diplomates in maintaining high professional standards through professional development and lifelong learning.
- Training Standards: The ABFM sets standards for the training that prepares Family Medicine residents for board certification.
- Research: The ABFM funds, conducts, and publishes research that is devoted to creating, evaluating, and maintaining cutting-edge certification methods, and to advancing the scientific basis of Family Medicine.
- Leadership Development: The ABFM cultivates leaders in Family Medicine to expand the specialty’s contribution to the health of the public.
- Collaboration: The ABFM collaborates with other specialty boards and organizations to promote better health care, drive better outcomes, and manage health care resources responsibly.
The American Board of Family Medicine is one of 24 medical specialty boards that make up the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Through ABMS, the boards work together to establish common standards for physicians to achieve and maintain board certification. The boards were founded by their respective specialties to protect the public by assessing and certifying doctors who meet specific educational, training and professional requirements. The American Board of Family Medicine is an independent, non-profit organization. For more information about ABMS, visit www.abms.org.
Get the lastest information from and about the ABFM.
Get more information about diplomates and the ABFM programs.
Our brochure can answer many of your questions.
Find web sites for related organizations and other resources