Requirements for Diplomates who Certified or Recertified in 2003–2010
Any physician who successfully completed the examination in 2003–2010 was automatically enrolled into the Family Medicine Certification process, which requires each physician to successfully complete requirements in order to maintain certification. With Family Medicine Certification comes the option of extending the original 7-year certificate to 10 years. To receive this extension, Diplomates must complete requirements by specified deadlines. If the deadlines are not met in a timely fashion, the Diplomate will continue to be certified for 7 years. Regardless of which option the Diplomate chooses (7-year or 10-year path), the requirements must be completed prior to taking the next Family Medicine Certification Examination.
The 10-year option is broken down into three 3-year stages. Each 3-year stage will have the same requirements:
- Minimum of one (1) Knowledge Self-Assessment (KSA) Activity
- Minimum of one (1) Performance Improvement (PI) Activity (PPM or approved alternative)
- Minimum of 50 Family Medicine Certification Points from the Completion of Self-Assessment and/or Performance Improvement Activities
In addition, each Diplomate must complete 300 CME credits in the 6 years leading up to the examination and continuously maintain a currently valid, full, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada.
As long as a Diplomate continues to meet these requirements in each 3-year stage, he/she will be on track for the 10-year option. If at any time a Stage requirement is not completed on time, the Diplomate will revert to the 7-year certificate. Even with a 7-year certificate, all certification requirements must still be completed prior to taking the next Family Medicine Certification Examination.
Requirements for the 7-year certification option are:
- Minimum of three (3) Knowledge Self-Assessment (KSA) Activities
- Minimum of one (1) Performance Improvement Activity (PPM or approved alternative)
- Minimum of 110 Family Medicine Certification Points from the Completion of Self-Assessment and/or Performance Improvement Activities
Completion of these activities are a requirement in order to take the examination in year seven and must be completed by the posted examination deadline.
For more specific information regarding ABFM Family Medicine Certification requirements, please login to your Physician Portfolio.